Coconut and Lime Curd Macaroons – Recipe

Passover. Out with the cakes and biscuits, in with the cinnamon balls and coconut macaroons.

I couldn't quite face making the same old cinnamon balls and coconut macaroons, this year. However, my family loves coconut macaroons – so decided to do a little East Asian fusion magic to stop myself from screaming internally. 


I think I like coconut macaroons again, now.

You could, of course, use any sort of sweet spread you like. Strawberry jam, Nutella, Biscoff cookie butter, that sort of thing. I even considered going double coconut and using kaya (the rich cocout jam I used in my previous recipe). Citrus curd does cut through the sweetness of the macaroons the best in my (humble) opinion, though: and lime always pairs well with coconut.

This is also an incredibly quick recipe: I made these in just 30 minutes. Hell, since these are so quick and tasty and don't me cry a little inside from boredom, I'd even make these outside of Passover.

What are you waiting for? Let's go!

Makes 20

Ingredients:

-3 small egg whites
-125g caster sugar
-1tsp vanilla
-200g dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
-Lime curd
-Grated zest of 1 lime (optional)

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 140 degrees C, line a couple of baking sheets with baking parchment and grease lightly

2) Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, and whisk in the vanilla caster sugar to make a loose meringue mixture (no need to beat to stiff peaks like a real meringue)

3) Gently mix in the coconut, and form the resulting 'dough' into 20 balls with the help of a couple of teaspoons

4) Flatten the balls out slightly and make dips in the centre with (clean) fingers

5) Pop a teaspoonful of lime curd in the centre of the dips, and bake for 20 minutes or until the macaroons just begin to become golden

6) Let cool a little and sprinkle over fresh lime zest (not obligatory, but it'll give it a little extra zing and colour)

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts